- Ph.D. (Religious Studies), Graduate Theological Union, 1993
- M.A. (Theology and Philosophy), Pacific School of Religion, 1989
Distinctions / Awards
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Their Students, UI Center for Teaching Excellence, 2005-present (16 times).
- Second Place, Best Column Monthly/Bi-Monthly Category, NAJA Media Awards, Native American Journalists Association, 2010.
- J. Frederick Miller Award for Distinguished Volunteer Service, University YMCA, 2009.
- Finalist, Religion Category, Book of the Year Awards, ForeWord Magazine, 2006.
- Distinguished Alumni/ae Award, Pacific School of Religion, 2005.
- Finalist, Nonfiction Category, Oklahoma Book Awards, Oklahoma Center for the Book, Oklahoma Department of Libraries, 2004.
- Outstanding Faculty Award, American Indian Student Services, Center for Student Life, University of Oklahoma, 2002.
- First Place, Best Editorial Award, NAJA Media Awards, Native American Journalists Association, 1997.
- Honorable Mention, Excellence in Teaching Awards, Committee on Teaching, University of California at Santa Cruz, 1995.
- UI College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Faculty Fellow in a Second Discipline, 2010-2011
- American Academy of Religion, Individual Research Grant, 1998-1999.
- Center for the Study of Religion and American Culture, Young Scholars in American Religion Program, 1997-1998.
- National Endowment for the Humanities, Summer Stipend Award, 1995.
- Louisville Institute for the Study of Protestantism and American Culture, Summer Stipend Award, 1994.
- D'Arcy McNickle Center for the History of the American Indian, Seminar Fellowships, 1991, 1993.
Celebrating our Sesquicentennial 1867-2017